Reach an agreement
A good way to set boundaries with your child about what they can and can’t do online is to set an agreement with them.
Here are some examples of the areas you might want to discuss:
- Limits on the amount of time your child spends online, or playing computer games.
- Having regular screen breaks – at least five minutes every 45-60 minutes.
- Not sharing any pictures they wouldn’t be happy to share with you.
- Not giving out personal details, such as mobile phone number and address, to people they don’t know and trust.
- Coming to you if they are concerned. Or, if not, knowing where they can go for independent help and support.